Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Aggghhhh!!!

Friday afternoon started off like any other. I left work early for a tune-up ride before heading out to Charleston, SC for a couple crits. It wasn’t going to be anything special, between Battenkill and the NRC crit in Anniston the field in Charleston promised to be manageable. I was looking forward to riding hard in search of the first real result of the year. Then the phone rang. The team needed another person to go to the Sunny King Criterium in Alabama. The next morning I was cruising down to Anniston Alabama for my first NRC race ever. Opportunity was knocking and I was more than happy to fill the last slot for the team.

Sunny King is by no means the biggest NRC race of the year but it’s still an NRC race. There’s a jumbotron, cameras covering the course, crowds, all the big crit teams are there and there’s $15,000 up for grabs. The course is straightforward, four corners with the start/finish stretch being slightly uphill. The legs felt fine and I was anxious to get the race started.

I’ve always loved the beauty of road races. The landscapes, the tactics, the epic battles over multiple mountain passes, I feel that it’s the heart and soul of bike racing. However, there’s something about twilight crits that’s just exhilarating. The noise of the crowd, the speed, the intensity, I can’t lie, I love it. When you pull up to the line, under the lights, you know it’s the calm before the storm. When that gun goes off all hell is going to break loose. The attacks are constant as everyone vies for their shot at glory. It’s a truly amazing thing to be a part of, especially at this level.

So there I was, standing on the line shoulder to shoulder with guys that I usually just see in magazines. As I looked up the street there were people lining the barriers all the way to the first corner. The course ahead was barren, creating a tunnel effect with the glow of streetlights illuminating the way. The pathway to success was sitting in front of me. Not to say that I was expected a result. Far from it, but this was another step up and I wanted to get things in the big leagues started off on the right foot.



When the announcer said go all the philosophic wanderings ceased, it was time to do work. The race was blazing fast from the gun. I was feeling good though. We were going hard there’s no doubt about it, but the sensations were good. I knew the pace wouldn’t stay that hard the entire race so I settled in and tried to weather the storm. I was fine until about 25 minutes in when it became obvious the break was going clear and everybody that had anything left, and no one in the front group, poured on the gas. Gaps started opening and it got crazy hard. I was on the very tip of the saddle gritting my teeth, sweat dripping on my glasses, my legs burning trying to get around guys blowing up and getting shot out the back. I kept thinking, “There’s no way we can go this hard for an hour and half. It has to slow up soon, just hang on one more lap.” Then it finally happened, shit, that’s it, I’m done. As I sat up, legs on fire, heart racing, feeling totally dejected, I saw the group in front slow and mushroom out. You’re kidding me! If I could have hung on one more time up the start/finish straight I would have been fine, I’m pretty sure I was the last person dropped. Right after I came off, about 30 minutes in, the group enjoyed a nice leisurely 15 or so laps until the break lapped the field.


Eventual winner Ben Kersten.

I was that close to finishing my first NRC race. Opportunity had come, slapped me in face and left. It was hard to stomach. I tried to console myself by saying that NRC races are Pro/1 only and there were a bunch of guys that came off before me. It didn’t help much. In the end it was a good learning experience and I’m eternally grateful to the team for giving me the chance to go. Now I’m super motivated for redemption at Speedweek which starts this weekend. Ohhhhh, I want it bad.

Quote of the Week: “It takes two to fill me up.” - Commercial for the new KFC double down. I can’t decide who I want to belittle more, the guy who decided that sandwich was a good idea or the guy that came up with the ad.

No comments:

Post a Comment