Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Screw It, I’m Shaving My Arms

As I look back over the past couple weeks there is much to discuss. I hate to condense all of it into one post but typing has been a bit of an issue for the past week.

After my podium in High Point I was feeling good about my form coming into the Ohio/Fitchburg block. A weekend off racing yielded some quality training and I was ready for the final couple weeks before my biggest goals of the year. Then I finally won a bike race! Yes, it was a weekday race, but it was Dixie which is notoriously hard. It’s a coveted scalp for any Winston native. It felt good to give Hamblen some money for once and the piece de resistance came when Thomas Craven complemented me on how strong I was getting. Thomas, who is a Dixie regular, rode for 7-Eleven, was on the U.S. team the year LeMond won the World Championship and did the Giro d’Italia. His complement was a real honor and a nice ego boost.

After my coup at Dixie I headed into the Crit State Championships looking for a result. Friday night was a who’s who of North Carolina racers and with almost 70 guys lining up it was going to be fast. So it was, and despite me and Hamblen doing our best to get a break off the front, it was destined to be a bunch sprint. In the hustle we never got together and I ended up 6th with Jon 8th. I felt ok, not content mind you, with the result since everyone that beat me was legit and it came after doing a lot of work early on trying to make a break happen. Having only two guys there, covering all the moves and finishing both in the money isn’t a terrible day. I was hoping it was a sign of things to come.

Saturday brought the U25 race. Everyone had been talking about how I should dominate so I was feeling a bit of pressure. But as luck would have it, about 10 guys showed up. Not being categorized, some of those guys were 3’s and 4’s. I was one of four fairly strong guys in the race. The other three were all on the same team so frustration was in the cards. After one of their guys finally got away solo we were racing for second and just cruising around when I stood up to stretch my legs. The next thing I knew I was smashing into the pavement. I wasn’t sure what had happened at first. We weren’t going fast and I knew I hadn’t touched anyone else. This was the first time I’d ever crashed and just layed there. I went down right at a step little bridge so I smacked into it with my hip and just stopped. After a prolonged oh shit period I looked at my bike and noticed that my steerer tube had snapped in half. No warning, it just went all at once and that was it. A rare fluke and there was nothing I could do but put a new fork on and deal with the pain.

Despite having a golf ball sized welt on my hip, I was going to be tough and race the next day. When I woke up the swelling had gone down and after loosening up on the bike I was actually feeling pretty good. However, any inkling of positive energy was short-lived. After the first lap there was a small group just off the front and I was on the wheel of the guy chasing it down. There was a fast downhill into a tight corner and the guy on the front went in too hot. He slid out and there was nothing I could do. I hit the pavement doing over 25mph and it was not pretty. I didn’t break anything but the road rash was no joke. I got it all over and it’s deep in places, especially on one palm which means I can’t hold the bars well enough to ride. Ohio…gone.

I know the guy that took me out quite well and I like him as a person. He recently upgraded to Cat 2 and while he’s strong, he’s obviously not the best bike driver. He took an unnecessary risk and we all paid the price. He had some road rash and a concussion and the guy behind me broke his collarbone and had to have surgery to repair it. It was stupid to be that reckless on the second lap when the small group was definitely going to come back. I had to lay in bed pain, not able to sleep, sticking to the sheets, thinking about how much work I had put into being fast for Ohio and Fitchburg and then having it all taken away because of someone else’s mistake. All those hours spent shivering on the bike over the winter, thinking about wearing the leader’s jersey or winning a stage, kiss them goodbye. It was a hard pill to swallow.

This week has been terrible. I have trouble sleeping, there’s constant pain and I effectively have one hand. My wounds are a constant reminder of last weekend. However, that’s bike racing. Shit happens and you move on. I’ve been on the trainer the past few days and shouldn’t lose much fitness. Hopefully I can jump right back in to getting results. There’s still plenty of racing left and I’m dying to make something happen before the end of the year. Maybe this crash is just the motivation I needed, or at least that’s what I’m telling myself since crying over missing Ohio isn’t going to do any good.

I should be back to racing soon and hunting for some good finishes. Thanks to everyone for their support over the past week and to Jay Cox for the use of the fork.

Quote of the Week: “That sucks.” –virtually everyone I’ve seen over the past week

2 comments:

  1. Hey man that sounds like the bike racing gods dealt you a shitty hand. Sorry to hear it. (My strategy for not crashing is not racing...) But judging from your other entries it looks like you are crushing it in cat2! Awesome. How are things otherwise? -q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was not the best weekend ever. Otherwise things are going well. I'm still focused on riding so I'm working a little to pay the bills and get to races but other than that there's not much going on.

    What have you been up to? Finished school yet? Good to hear from you, let me know what's good.

    ReplyDelete