Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Can I Get A Hell Yes!

The reason for my recent lack of posts is very simple. The last month or so has been the most stressful time in my life, period. Day after day spent trying to find a team or a job, or both, and dealing with constant disappointment was tough on the psyche. Little glimmers would appear, sometimes allowing a moment of optimism, but it would never last. I can’t tell you how many e-mails I’ve sent in the past two months. It felt like I had a full-time job and that was even more disheartening because I wasn’t making a dime. I was ready to take anything, job, team, personal sponsorship, whatever. The search just kept dragging on and on. I thought it would never end.

Then, out of the mist, it appeared. I was offered a spot on BikeReg.com/Cannondale. I was busting my ass on all these intricate plans with personal sponsorship/ employment deals. Then the best offer I could have hoped for was just tossed my way. I couldn’t believe it. I guess sometimes things just work out.

So, needless to say, I’m pumped. My reverse of fortune has given me new life. BikeReg.com/Cannondale, formerly Fiordifrutta, is one of the most highly regarded amateur programs in the country. It seems like a great fit and I can’t wait to start racing. Training for the unknown was incredibly hard mentally but I now have renewed enthusiasm and the stinging desire to work hard and step it up. First things first though. The team is based in New England so I have to relocate, at least from April to September. I’m in process of researching possible relocation sites as well as trying to source some type of income for when I get there, any suggestions?

As of right now, Northampton, Mass. and Burlington Vermont are the front runners. I’m getting really excited about new roads, new people, new culture; it’s going to be interesting if nothing else. I have two schools of thought on the income situation. Part of me wants to be a modern day Cortez and the burn my ships. If I went up there and just worked at a coffee shop or something I would probably be more motivated to kick ass on the bike and try to get a pro contract for next year. I wouldn’t have any off-the-bike career distractions. I wouldn’t have that safety net. It would be success or nothing, like Cortez. The other part of me, the part that went to college and isn’t a dumb ass, wants to be in a situation that is going to benefit me when bike racing is no longer the priority. So we’ll see what opportunities are presented. Who knows, maybe things will just work out again.

2 comments:

  1. Evan,

    Good things happen to cool people. Congratulations, I look forward to adding you to my list of "I knew him when..." Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you, well deserved I'd say. I WILL find you a living situation and a job... I've put feelers out and called in some favors.
    YAY!

    ReplyDelete