Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Do stars and stripes make my butt look big?


Last weekend was spent at the Greenville Training Series races in South Carolina. It was my first weekend off antibiotics and I wasn't so sure how the form was. I hadn't felt good the previous week but upgrade points were needed so it was off to SC. A big thanks goes out to my cousin Will for letting me crash on his couch in Charlotte, NC. The training series seems to rising in popularity. The fields were huge. Next to The Fitchburg Longsjo Classic, they were the largest fields I've ever been in and it's only February!

I was traveling by myself which makes the trip fairly expensive. That, combined with the need for upgrade points and the disappointment last weekend meant I had the game face on. However, the game face would not last long. Upon arrival Saturday morning I was riffling through my bag getting clothing sorted out for the day and I couldn't find a jersey. The team clothing still isn't in yet so I thought I had thrown in a plain jersey but evidently I was mistaken. Then the panic set in. I couldn't find anyone with a spare jersey until I spotted the BMW-Bianci cars in the distance. (They are basically the women's counterpart to ITS-Kane, both run by the Capital Cycling Club) Next thing I know I'm cramming into a women's team national champion skinsuit. It was the only thing they could come up with that fit. Thanks Evie, you came through strong. Serves me right for screwing up and I couldn't help but laugh along with everyone else. Is it wrong that a women's skinsuit fit me like a glove?

I don't know if it was trying to compensate for the emasculating skinsuit or what but it was one of the best races I've ever ridden. I had good sensations in the legs and was able to maneuver through the 80 whatever rider field with ease. Mentally and tactically I was golden. Even when things seemed bleak, I kept my head in the game, didn't give up and did what I needed to. I felt stronger mentally than ever before. Mainly due to late crashes, the result was not good but I left feeling positive about how I had ridden.

Sunday was a different story. The wind was ripping the course and set things up for a day of attrition. I knew what was going to happen in the wind, crashes and splits in the field so I was in every single move off the front. Nothing was going to get away without me in it. I said I was going to make a break happen and I did. After attacking multiple time, five of us opened up a large gap and held it for most of the race. Then we were caught by a what was left of the field, less than 20 guys. I couldn't believe we were caught but I kept my head in the game and stayed attentive. That group stayed together to the line and I managed fourth in the sprint after being off the front in the wind for most of the race. I was not content with fourth but felt I did the right thing getting into the early move and I still beat a lot of guys that were fresher than me in the sprint. It is also not a course, especially in those conditions, that suits me at all. Flat and windy is not my style. So I came away with positive vibes, confidence that my form was coming around and most importantly some upgrade points.

The weekend was marked by lots of emotions. The drive down on Saturday was enlightening. As I cruised along I-85 rocking out to race mixes and savoring the heavenly nectar that is coffee, I was reminded why I chose to pursue cycling. I love everything about it. I love the feeling of driving to a race while contemplating the battle of legs, minds and wills that would inevitably be accompanied by pain and suffering. I love the camaraderie between teammates and fellow racers. I love the travel and the never ending stream of challenges. I love the sacrifice and the dedication. I love the elation of success and the motivation of defeat. I love cycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment