Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

Culmination

I should probably be excited about last weekend but I’m just too exhausted. It was the first time I’ve ever been on the podium back to back days with second on Saturday and third on Sunday. It also gave me more than enough points to finally upgrade to Cat 2.

On Saturday the rain came, just like I wanted. I stayed active and at the front the whole race. Nothing seemed to be able to get away and looked to be settin up my favorite thing in the world, a Cat 3/4 group sprint in the rain. There was a late attack with 1 lap to go and the guy on the front of the group chasing him down crashed, taking out four or five guys behind him. I was able to avoid it but the kid off the front was gone and second was the best I could do. It still gave me the last couple upgrade points and lifted a huge weight off my shoulders.

Sunday was a bit different with warm and sunny conditions, it was going to be fast and I wanted to win in my new ITS-Kane kit. Again, I stayed at the front and covered anything dangerous. Early on I bridged up to a move and we were off. The seven of us lapped the field and the game began. I covered an attack with three to go but we were brought back and I got in position for the sprint. With two turns left there was a move on the right by a guy that was in the move being led out by a strong teammate. I jumped on the wheel and we were off. Into the second to last turn somebody flew across the road and my only options were to check up or hit the curb. So he knocked me off the wheel of the guy who eventually won. I still managed third but was not happy. The guy made a dangerous move and screwed me. He never even got the wheel I was on. He knocked me off it, but never had a chance for the win and I did. I was so close to ending my Cat 3 career on a high note but it was not meant to be.

I also did the pro-am on Sunday. I was feeling the previous race and hadn’t eaten enough so I suffered most of the time. With about six laps to go there was a huge split in the field and I was behind it, so was my only teammate left. I didn’t feel like I had anything for the finish so I hit the front and closed the gap for my teammate. Right after I caught the front group Rich Harper attacked and it was game over. I felt good about still being able to help out my teammate in the end and I think with fresh legs I could have been a factor in the race. Hopefully it was a sign for things to come.

Other high notes for the weekend included getting my iAero power meter and learning that I should have my new Kane bike very soon, maybe not in time for next weekend but for sure(please don’t jinx it) by the next races after that. I also won enough money to cover all three entry fees and travel, so that was crucial. Last weekend was a culmination of so many things. The upgrade points, the new team clothing, the power meter, the bike and to top it off my birthday is Thursday. So yeah, it’s a good week.

Now that I’ve met my goal of upgrading it feels like I’ve just climbed a mountain but am now staring at a much bigger one right in front me. It might sound hard to conquer a challenge only to be immediately faced with another, much harder one. However, I couldn’t be more excited. I’m playing a whole new game on another level and can’t wait to step up to the plate. It’s time to get nasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment