Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

Dancing for Rain

As I sit here evaluating last weekend I feel ok about it. I didn’t come away with a result and that is not ok, but compared to last weekend I certainly can’t complain. Both days were somewhat hilly, not quite enough to suite me but better than flat for sure. My legs felt good despite all the hard training leading into the weekend. I think the new tune-up ride is a keeper. I didn’t want to let the same thing happen this weekend so I was aggressive early both days. However, the field was much deeper and I could only get away by myself. Any type of group was immediately chased down and neither course was conducive to an early solo move. So I stayed calm and alert at the front for most of the race both days which came down to a group finishes (or what was left of it). Saturday I can blame no one but myself. I was there in the end and felt great. I was fresh and ready to uncork my sprint. However, in the mad shuffle for position I forgot when the road opened up and was totally screwed. As soon as it happened I was kicking myself. I felt so good but was helpless. Sunday was a little different story with an uphill finish I was looking forward to. Most of the race went the same as Saturday. I attacked a couple times and followed anything dangerous but nothing formulated until I got into a group of three with three laps to go and a small gap opened up. We didn’t keep the pace up long enough though and were quickly reeled in. For the finish I was a little further back than I would have liked but not in horrible position. Out of the final bend I pinned the throttle and poured my heart into my legs. I started flying by people and was starting to believe in a top finish when I see some guy soft pedaling up the side of the road. Obviously he was not in our race but was in the road. The guy in front of me had to come left to avoid him and he closed the door on me. My free line to the front was gone and I had to tap my brakes in an uphill finish. I managed to stay somewhere around tenth or so but again, had the legs and didn’t get the result. I felt good both days and also felt like I read the races well tactically. So I feel good about it but even hungrier for that result. Thanks again to Pat and Jamie and the Mountain Khakis crew for a place to stay. Hopefully I can return the favor.
Next weekend brings two crits in Greenville, NC and the forecast looks like rain again. I’m actually hoping it rains though (hence the title of this post). I want redemption from Columbia and this could be it. Gunning for the last couple upgrade points in nasty weather could lead to an epic battle, a fitting way to end my Cat 3 career.
Tommeke let me down in Sanremo but damn Cavendish is fast. My mind picked Boonen but my heart picked Cavendish and honestly I thought he could do it. I let the critics affect my decision too much.
So for now it's back to work and training. I'll leave you with the quote of the weekend, ciao.
"Keep it hard so the fatties aren't there in the end." -Yelled with frustration from Scott in the closing laps on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment